Monday, November 16, 2009

Too Wet to Plant...I'll Paint Instead

a small water color sketch for a client commission

midway through- I left the sketch with the client, so I used the laptop as a reference....decided to change the sky to something less "threatening".
The final painting with it's first coat of glazing, several more layers came next. This is the largest painting I've done, 44"by 60" I love regional landscapes, the way the light changes all over the country, the air and the terrain are constantly changing into something new. Our atmosphere here is moisture filled, giving a bluish green look to the surrounding landscape. I really enjoyed painting again, something I used to do more frequently.The painting is the physical part, but learning to really see something is the true art. My father always said to draw or paint something every day...think how good you'll get! he'd say.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I am glad you are getting back into painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful diversion to have that skill! Completely different direction while still creating beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Brian, a painter, too! I am usually ok with a visual aide but to paint something out of thin air...that's hard.
    Like that quote of your dad's...

    ReplyDelete